Thursday, September 6, 2012

Coconut...Coconut...or Coconut?


As I browse through pins and blogs and this and that, I see more and more references to "coconut oil". The more I read, the more I realized there is a huge piece of information missing in these posts, recipes, etc...defining the type of coconut oil to be used.

There are three main types of coconut oil. As I intend to walk you through recipes, DIY products and more as I develop this blog, I wanted to start off with some solid information about the different types of coconut oils so if you find "coconut oil" mentioned or used in something that peaks your interest, you know where to start.

Coconut Oil (76 or 92): First and foremost, the number refers to the melt point...the temperature where the oil shifts from solid to liquid, or vice versa. This type of coconut oil generally has no odor and is used in kitchen/restaurant fryers, many skin formulations as it is wonderful for dry itchy skin without having a terribly greasy consistency, and is even used in some hair formulations. Coconut oil is also a staple ingredient in real soap (more on this in a future post).

Fractionated Coconut Oil (also called Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride and/or FCO): A light, clear, non-greasy oil that is most frequently used in skin care formulations and is wonderful is massage oils. This is not an oil you will find regularly in your oil shopping adventures as it is not used in cooking or food preparation (at least not that I have ever seen...).

Virgin Coconut Oil (also called Virgin Coconut Cream or VCO): This is the wonder oil that is referenced in most recent recipes, formulations and hints for health and beauty. VCO smells and tastes of coconut. I could go on and on about the wonders of VCO, but one of the best descriptions I have read can be found here. VCO can be purchased in most grocery stores, health food stores and online. For some additional great information, take a look at this.



Hopefully this will help as you browse through various information, recipes, and DIY projects. I will be referencing and using a variety of ingredients in the projects I work on...I will do my best to specify which coconut oil, but please feel free to call me out on it if I forget.

Have a fabulous day...

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment